Saturday, 13 February 2010

Day 1 A personal note on my visit in Germany with our children

Tonight I'm going to bed with a deep joy in my spirit, even though I miss Gordon like crazy.  I arrived on flight x from London Stansted to Hanover Germany, fetched by our son-in-law close on midnight, travelling through the stillness of snow-white fields.   I remember the first times enjoying the hospitality of adult married children and finding it strange to be "entertained" by our CHILDREN in their own homes!   That novelty has never worn off, even 10 years later, the loving touches, such as a red fluffy gown, etc. etc.   How fascinating to see our children's parenting styles, and their abundant love for our grandchildren and being reminded again of the challenging days of having toddler children -we salute all parents!  Josie tip-toed into the bedroom and kissed me hello without me even knowing about it - early this morning she came to crawl in and cuddle - I can eat her up....   Evie has managed to change in as little as 2 weeks she just seems a bit more grown-up - as grown-up as an almost 8 month can be!  The news about her first tooth is all true and she is practising push-ups, before her days of being mobile start - and another phase of  fun having adults chasing after her. We played pretend-games with Josie and read books and made sure that her sensitive tummy was barred from any dairy or fatty foods: so far, so good.

Three other impressions, I would like to remember:
At the airport:  a mother, in the middle of a London airport area, slowly eating a pear while watching her little son jumping up an down performing the mother of all tantrums.  As soon as he had exhausted himself, she picked him up and dealt with him ever so tenderly.
A Valentine memory:  our son-in-law or should I say son-in-love drew a heart the size of a small bedroom in deep snow in the front of their garden, just before he left on a long flight to Tokyo to look at the residence possibilities  for his family in the Far East.
And my own Valentine memory:  my personal soulmate emailing hearts and teddybears and secretly organising flowers - still the love of my life!

And now to bed, resting upon the suffiency of my Lord Jesus Christ's grace and thanking Him for our children and grandchildren and for placing the most amazing and dynamic hope in every Christian's soul.  May we see the riches of the grace we have been given through Jesus Christ, all over again!

Tomorrow I'm setting my camera to capture raw and jpgs, and who knows, there may be fun or funny pic or two to share with you - let's see!